- ½ cup split moong dhal
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ carrot, cut into thin slices
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon MAPI Organic Vata Churna
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse dhal in cool water 3 times. Place water, carrots, and dhal in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Skim off the foam that forms on the top of the boiling water with a tablespoon and discard.
- Lower heat and continue to simmer for 20 minutes, till the dhal is tender. If you want a thicker dhal, you can continue boiling for 5 minutes longer. Add the salt.
- In a separate saucepan melt the ghee. Add the fresh ginger root and sauté for several minutes.
- Add the Organic Vata Churna and sauté briefly, about 30 seconds, with the ginger root, making sure that the spices do not burn.
- Add spice mixture to dhal. The dhal may splash when you add the hot oil to it. Add the fresh cilantro and lemon juice.
- Stir and serve over rice or as a side soup with your main meal.