A few facts about riots, wars, viruses, and economies:
- The recent riots around police brutality, racial inequities and injustice are the worst riots in the US since the 1960’s rebellion against the Vietnam war and racial discrimination.
- Black American COVID-19 mortality is more than 3 ½ times the white mortality rate.
- Real median Black household income is less than $40,000 while for Whites it is 50% higher, at about $60,000 (1);
- More Americans have been killed by the coronavirus in the past few months then were killed during the 15 plus years we fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars;
- The US spends as much money on the military as the next 10 countries combined;
- With just over 4% of the world’s population, the US has recorded nearly one-third of all coronavirus cases, averaging more than 1,100 deaths per day since March;
- The US economy is by far the richest in the world – its gross domestic product is more than that of the next two countries combined;
- Three Americans have as much wealth as half the rest of the US population.
- The US has been the leading proponent of a form of predatory corporate capitalism that has resulted in a failed global governmental-social-economic system that economists refer to as a Death Economy. It is the cause of many of our current problems, including the riots, the emergence and spread of the coronavirus, climate change, income inequality, species extinctions and so many others – all are symptoms of this failed system;
As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr said: “A riot is the language of the unheard.”