Happy Independence Day - the day we celebrate our “unalienable rights” to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and freedom! Now of course there are many ways to achieve living life to the fullest, feeling liberated, and attaining happiness, but I can promise you that if you truly want to let freedom ring, then you must foster emotional independence. Emotional independence is being able to stand in your power, and to make choices based on what is in your highest versus as a reaction to external circumstances. And the crazy thing is, that even though “unalienable rights” are defined as those that cannot be surrendered, transferred, given away to, or revoked by another, the fact is that most of us give away our power when it comes to emotional independence and let outside sources rob of us our joy, equilibrium, internal knowing, and sense of self.
So, if your day, mood, or reactions are being controlled by:
- the way your butt and thighs look in your jeans,
- whether a person you are dating asks you out for Saturday night or texts you the day after you slept together,
- a disagreement you’ve had with a family member,
- someone else’s opinion of you, or
- your desire to numb out and avoid dealing with certain situations,
then chances are you need some support in fostering emotional independence.
Here are 3 tips to aid you on your path to true freedom.