It's easy to forget that we are all perfect in our own design. Sometimes we muck it up with habits and choices that do not serve us.
Apple Crisp is simple to prepare, easy to digest, and when served warm in the cold winter season is Vata-pacifying. Stewed fruit is always a favorite of ayurveda!
Vata governs all movement in the mind and body. It controls blood flow, elimination of wastes, breathing and the movement of thoughts across the mind.
Since Pitta and Kapha cannot move without it, Vata is considered the leader of the three Ayurvedic Principles in the body. It's very important to keep Vata in good balance.
Recipe and video from from Heaven's Banquet, Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way
by Miriam Kasin Hospodar
5½ cups thinly-sliced apples (peeled or unpeeled)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup raisins
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup unbleached white or whole wheat flour
½ cup raw or packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or 9½ x 6½-inch pan.
2. Mix all the apple filling ingredients together and spread evenly in the baking dish.
3. To prepare the topping by hand: Combine the dry ingredients for the topping in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces, add to the dry ingredients, and work with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. To prepare the topping in a food processor: Process everything together.
5. Crumble the topping evenly over the fruit.
6. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is tender, about 45 minutes.
Variations: Add a handful of finely-chopped nuts or shredded coconut to the streusel topping.
Enjoy this delicious and festive dessert!
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.
Join Panache Desai every morning and for support in reconnecting to the wellspring of calm and peace that lives within you and that has the power to counterbalance all of the fear, panic, and uncertainty that currently engulfs the world.
Designed To Move You From Survival and Fear to Safety and Peace
...on all things life, wellness, love, transformation and spirituality...
PLUS! Get your FREE Guide: 12 Mindfulness Practices to a Peaceful Mind