Because I have been in such an intense phase of creative energy flow, (thank you, vata dosha!), and it was recently National Women's Day, I thought I'd share some information about the two chakras responsible for our creativity.
The second (Svadisthana/Sacral/Sexual) chakra is considered the seat of divine feminine energy and creativity, called shakti in the Hindu tradition. It is the womb, where all things are birthed.
Men and women alike need this feminine creative energy to lead inspiring and fulfilling lives. Creativity does not belong exclusively to artists, musicians, and writers.
The creative force born in the second chakra is available for everyone. It gives meaning to our lives and can be the difference between a life lived in a state of stagnation vs. one filled with joyful inspiration and action.
Located below the navel in the area of the sexual organs, the color associated with the second chakra is orange.
Swadhisthana means "one's own abode" or "dwelling place of the self". It is the pleasure chakra - the chakra of sensuality, sexuality, desire, and our emotions.
Here lie our emotional connections with others.
It is the seat of our creativity.
The element associated with the sacral chakra is water. A person with a functional sacral chakra has a healthy way of expressing emotions and sexuality, both with self and others. Creativity flows in all aspects of his/her life.
Problems from an over/underactive or closed second chakra include
- Sexual dysfunction such as impotence, frigidity, promiscuity
- Disorders of the sexual organs such as infertility, endometriosis, ovarian cysts/cancer, fibroids, menstrual problems, prostate problems
- Chronic low back pain
- Bladder or urinary problems
- Bowel disorders such as IBS, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, etc.
- Chronic money issues
- Inability to maintain healthy relationships
- Emotionally shut down
- Creativity is stunted (The Fifth/Throat Chakra is closely related to the Sacral Chakra and is the expression of our creativity)
I recently uncovered an orange notebook dedicated to my second chakra that I kept from 2012-2014. I was studying energy healing at the time and was determined to heal a lifetime of second chakra imbalances - every gyn problem under the sun, including infertility, childhood trauma, creativity blocks, etc.
Looking through the pages I was amazed at what I dug up via my writing, dreams, and meditations. So many signs. For most of my life, I hated the color orange. And then something miraculous happened. As I did the work and healed that part of my body, I started to love orange, the color of the second chakra. I began to make art again and so many things shifted in my life. I can read through the pages of this journal now with detachment and wonder, rather than pain and shame.
Ways to heal your Sacral Chakra
- Spend time in water which is the healing element of this chakra
- Daily self-care including oil massage
- Touch is healing. If there's no one in your life right now then be sure to go for frequent massage
- Yoga is especially healing for the Sacral Chakra
The seed mantra for the Sacral Chakra is VAM (vahmmm)
Place your hands on your second chakra (below your navel) and say this mantra repeatedly out loud or silently while envisioning yourself as a creative being in healthy relationships, experiencing abundance and good health in that part of your body. Picture the color orange healing your sacral chakra.
Located at the center of the throat, the chakra known as Vishuddha is governed by the ether (space) element and rules the throat, neck, shoulders, esophagus, voice/vocal cords, ears/hearing, and the mouth. It also rules the thyroid and parathyroid. Its color is blue.
Vishuddha means "especially pure" or "pure place". This chakra is not surprisingly all about expression and speaking our truth. It's about communication on all levels - not just voicing our own, but listening to others, as well. It connects our feeling self with our thinking self.
This is the chakra of clairaudience (hearing things/receiving messages that are not spoken out loud).
Our creativity is expressed via the fifth chakra and is closely linked with the second chakra, where our creativity is birthed. Thus people who have second chakra issues often have problems with their fifth chakra, and vice-versa. A healthy throat chakra will allow our authenticity and independence to shine.
Problems that can arise from an over/underactive or closed Fifth Chakra include
- Neck/throat/jaw problems - TMJ, swollen glands, vocal cord problems, throat cancer
- Thyroid issues - hypo/hyperthyroidism, Hashimoto's, Grave's disease, thyroid cancer
- Chronic sinus issues
- Poor communication skills - extreme shyness, stuttering, weak voice, talking too much or too fast
- Hearing difficulties
- Creatively stuck
Ways to heal your Throat Chakra
- Speak your truth - either out loud or through writing
- Sing! In the shower or wherever - singing is one of the best ways to heal the throat chakra
- Practice the art of listening - truly listening to others
- Find ways to express your creativity in whatever form appeals to you the most
- Practice being in silence. Put on a pair of noise-canceling headphones to help block out the sound. Be open to any messages that may come to you
- Conversely, practice awareness of the sounds around you
- Think back to what gave you JOY as a child and rediscover it!
The seed mantra for the Throat Chakra is HAM (haahhmmm)
Place your hands lightly around your throat and repeat this mantra either out loud or silently. Feel the vibration healing you. Picture a beautiful light blue color as you envision yourself fully authentic, speaking your truth and expressing your creativity. Release any stuck energy in the chakra so that you can fully participate and share your gifts with the world.
I hope this information gives you insight into the source of and the importance of creativity in our daily lives. It is critical that we nurture these energy centers on a daily basis in order to lead healthy, creative lives.
There is a power that is responsible for revealing the Self, for revealing oneness. That power created the universe, created your mind and will unveil your divinity.
Life Force is an advanced, week-long journey into that power. Life Force is a profound experience of the creative and revealing power of the divine.